Over the past few years I’ve been in a bit of a rut creatively. If you’ve been watching my YouTube videos that should seem obvious based on the amount of times I’ve been changing it up.
Well in the past week I’ve read quite a few articles on Medium and elsewhere about productivity and life advice type stuff. I came across this guy, James Altucher, and his Ultimate Guide for Becoming an Idea Machinereally resonated with me. He challenges himself to come up with a list of 10 ideas each day as a creative exercise because that’s what creativity is, exercise.
Being the video making guy I am I’ve decided to commit myself to do something similar, a straightforward, conversational video every morning on my WheezyNews channel in which I come up with my own ideas in the hopes that this can jog loose whatever is gumming up the works in my mindbrain.
I’ve already done the first video in which I talk about 10 ways to improve my life:
For those who don’t want to watch the video, here are those ways:
1) Make my workflow more realistic. Stop being too ambitious.
2) Get more sleep. I’ve always had a problem with this. Now I’m going to change that!
3) Make clear goals. I’ve kind of just been meandering without direction, making random stuff that sort of interests me. Now I want to work towards some things like making a movie. I’ll chronicle more of these things in a future video.
4) Say no to projects that interfere with my goals. Having goals will actually make this easier.
5) Stop drinking. This will definitely help my sleep and my energy levels.
6) Try to quit coffee again? Hmmm, maybe.
7) Read more books.
8) Tell more stories. I think what I want most is to be a storyteller. I don’t think I’ve been making that my main objective lately. I want to make movies, write books, blog posts, etc. that tell stories rather than facts or random thoughts.
9) Improve my skills. I’ve been resting on my laurels. It’s time to get better at video production, editing, effects, writing, everything. There’s always room for improvement.
10) Stop reading so much news. It’s distracting and coerces me into rehashing what I read rather than taking things from my brain.
There ya have it. Expect a video every day on WheezyNews and an occasional post on here based off of those videos. At least for as long as I’m enjoying it.